BOWIE, Md. (WJZ) — Authorities suspect a meteorite strike may have sparked a massive brush fire that scorched the woods behind a Prince George’s County condo community Sunday evening.
The woods behind Scarlett Oak Terrace, located just off Maryland Route 450, went up in flames after 5 p.m. It took firefighters with the Bowie Volunteer Fire Department several hours to bring the flames under control.
Later, firefighters discovered a hunk of what appears to be meteorite lying at the bottom of a cratered patch of earth, surrounded by the splintered and charred remains of tree limbs.