By Tracey Leong

BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. (WJZ)–An armed man in Baltimore County surrendered peacefully after officers had him surrounded for hours on Wednesday.

In less than 4 hours, a barricade situation ends peacefully in Essex.

“Relieved angry all this emotions but mostly relieved my mom is OK,” said neighbor Mark Letke.

Mark Letke and his family live next to the suspect on Anthony avenue and his mother was home when police swarmed the area.

“Police officers all over front yard with guns, pointing towards different directions,” said Letke.

Police tell WJZ it all started around 11 Wednesday morning.

“When we arrived we were met by a complainant who said he had been in an altercation with the suspect during the altercation the suspect fired at him,” said Baltimore County Police spokesman John Wachter.

After searching the neighborhood around Turkey Point Park, they found the armed man barricaded inside his home, warning people to avoid the area until was secured.

“Good hostage negotiators didn’t have and hostages but they’re trained negotiators and did a fantastic job to end it peacefully,” said Wachter.

The suspect cooperated with police but the whole ordeal still has neighbors shaken up.

“I don’t want that going on, it scares me,” said Letke.

The suspect has been taken in for evaluation, he faces charges of first degree assault for that earlier altercation. There is still no motive as to why the suspect barricaded himself.

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Baltimore

Track Weather On The Go With Our App!
CBS All Access
Download Our App

Watch & Listen LIVE