Md. Officer Suspended After ‘Oath Keepers’ Hat Found In Cruiser Window

ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md. (WJZ)–An Anne Arundel County police officer is suspended after a resident spots a controversial logo in the cruiser’s back window.

Gillian Thompson was grabbing lunch in Annapolis, Maryland when she spotted a hat supporting the controversial anti-government group Oath Keepers.

She snapped the photo and called police.

“It kind of shocked me to my core because I didn’t expect to see anything like that in Anne Arundel County,” said Gillian Thompson

Now that officer is under investigation.

“Police officers are not allowed to espouse political ideology when they’re representing themselves as police officers,” said Chief Timothy Altomare, with the Anne Arundel County Police Department.

The Oath Keepers is a controversial–sometimes hostile–fringe group that aims to preserve the constitution.

They are noted for involvement in the Ferguson riots and the occupation of a National Widlife Refuge in Oregon in support of the Bundy family.

Thompson, who is a mother of four biracial children has her worries.

“If a police officer is upholding an oath to the oath keepers is that above his oath of office as a police officer?” said Thompson. “Is he going to help me just the same as he would help someone else?”

Chief Altomare is now hoping that controversial logo doesn’t put doubt in his officers.

“Good lord, it’s 2016. Every one of my cops should know better,” Altomare said.

The officer in question is being paid while he’s suspended from the force.

Police have not taken any disciplinary action against the officer, but mentioned further training may be an option.

More from Devin Bartolotta

1. Larry Diffey says:

Oath Keepers is NOT an anti-government group. Why would an anti-government group care about an oath to the Constitution?

2. Kathryn says:

The police car was a “company car” so they have very right to outlaw displays of any affiliations to political or similar groups. Oath Keepers is anti government, they are a bunch of pro gun nut jobs who think they should obey only what laws and parts of the constitution they want to and that breaking laws and impeding first responders is appropriate if they don’t like what is going on or THEY decide it is Constitutional. They will take up arms and break laws as well as harass and try to restrict officials and private citizens rather than let the judicial process decide if something is Constitutional or not. If they do not agree with something that has been found to be unconstitutional by due process, they will not recognize it and still break the law and ignore the courts. For example, they believe it is unconstitutional for the governor or president to declare a sate of emergency and or martial law in extreme situations such as a natural disaster, attack or riots and so on. They are a dangerous lot that promotes lawlessness and intolerance and kisses Tea Party butthoIes. The do NO background checks for membership but claim all their members are law enforcement, first responders and so on, which is false. Luckily they have far fewer members than they claim to and they are just as lousy as those folks who disrupt funerals ad are a small group of largely white supremacist neo Nazi gun huggers trying to make a lot of noise.

3. FTA: Thompson, who is a mother of four biracial children has her worries.

From the Oath Keepers webn site: Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of current and formerly serving military, police, and first responders, who pledge to fulfill the oath all military and police take to “defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.”

Thompson is afraid that an oath to unhold the U. S. Constitution represents a danger to her children? More likely she or her children will be harmed by a BLM adherent then by an Oath Keeper police officer.

1. jimdog says:

I hope ms Gillian Thompson needs a cop and there is one too few to help

4. Paddy Ofurniture says:

WOW a group that upholds that swears to uphold the constitution is “anti-government”? Research the group for yourselves. While I agree the PO violated policy, but Im sure he is a good cop, since he after all believes in the constitution. This article illustrates why we need them!!

5. I am not clear how this PAID leave of absence serves as punishment. How does this vary from a paid vacation which is a treat?

6. Tim Armstrong says:

I am so tired of political correctness In this country , so what he had a hat in his car.. and now may lose his job over a hat . Im telling you soon we all will be in a Concentration Camp because we sneezed .or we again hurt someones feelings. Im tired of “race “this “race” that … guess what? we are all Human beings . Did the cop say anything personally to anyone ?Did the Cop beat you up ? Did he have a bull horn and run around Screaming OATH KEEPERS. And I never heard Of oath keepers Until this Story… TO me If you keep your oath Then you are an ok Person… Maybe HE felt the same way………

7. craygor says:

First, public servants should not display association with other entities while in a official capacity. With that said, I have to 2 biracial kids and I am not worried about Oath Keepers at all. I’m not an Oath Keeper myself, but what is wrong with military members and first-responders staying true to their oaths and how is that anti-government? I understand all groups (like BLM, environmental groups and even the GOP & DNC) have their fringe elements that cause problems, but should we malign those groups entirely also based on their more zealot members?

8. Torrie says:

Gillian Thompson is an idiot!!!! Let her work as a contractor for any entity of government and see how it is. I was barraged with nonstop black gospel music while working in a government building. I WAS HIGHLY F*&KING OFFENDED THAT I WAS IN A FEDERAL BUILDING AND HAD TO DEAL WITH RELIGIOUS INDOCTRINATION.