BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Four students who were at a party broken up by Baltimore Police near Johns Hopkins Sunday night were hospitalized and treated with Narcan, a nasal spray used for the emergency treatment of an opioid overdose.
Drug use is a growing problem among young people, particularly among college-aged students.
Officers responded to 200 E. University Parkway, the Delta Phi frat house, around 11 p.m. that night. They say about 40 students ran when they showed up.
Police found four students overdosed on opioids. They were treated at Union Memorial Hospital across the street.
“The fact that this can happen, especially on a campus such as Hopkins, it’s actually a little bit scary,” said student Zack Buono.
“There’s a very rigorous curriculum here, so maybe that was why, just people looking for a release,” said student Chisome Okereke.
Barbara Wall is on the front lines as COO of Concerted Care Group.
“The 18-to-25 years-old bracket is the highest risk right now. They are in a new situation, being away from home and college is stressful,” she said.
Hopkins put out a statement saying opioids could kill.
“Institutions such as Johns Hopkins or those top tier schools should take into consideration that students are still children in a sense,” said Jarrell McRae of Concerted Care Group.
The Delta Phi frat has been around since the 1800’s but isn’t recognized by Hopkins. It’s been suspended by the national organization and banned from holding social events.
Baltimore Police have initiated an investigation with Johns Hopkins University in order to identify the supplier of the yet-to-be-identified substance.
The host of the party was cited.
Commissioner Kevin Davis recently announced the formation of the Opioid Overdose Task Force, which will be leading this investigation.
“Right now we’re not getting the most cooperation from the people who nearly died as a result of this and that’s certainly disappointing,” said Baltimore Police spokesman.
It’s unclear what charges the supplier could face.
Hopkins said they have never had overdoses like these reported.
All of the students have been discharged from the hospital.