Ravens Coach John Harbaugh ‘Wouldn’t Rule Out’ Signing Kaepernick

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said during a press conference Thursday that he wouldn’t rule out signing former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Ravens training camp began Thursday without longtime quarterback Joe Flacco, who’s out with a sore back.

When asked about Kaepernick, Harbaugh said, “No, I wouldn’t rule it out at all. I mean, he’s a really good football player. I believe he’s a really good person.”

Several media outlets have reported that, following Kaepernick’s controversial decision to kneel during the national anthem throughout the 2016 season, he is being shunned by the NFL. Kaepernick has been a free agent since opting out of his contract with the 49ers in March.

“I’ve known Colin really through my brother for many years, and we’ve talked,” Harbaugh said Thursday.

The Ravens coach’s younger brother, Jim Harbaugh, is currently the head football coach at the University of Michigan, but served as the head coach for the 49ers from 2011 to 2014. He led the team to the Super Bowl in 2013, where they lost to the Ravens.

“…I’ve gotten to know [Colin] really well when they scrimmaged here,” the elder Harbaugh continued Thursday. “He and I have been talking throughout the summer a number of times. We’ve had some great conversations on the phone. It’s really been a pleasure to talk to him and get to know him. I like history and politics and stuff too, and we’ve had some debates and it’s been fun. He’s a great guy, and he’s a guy right now that’s being talked about and we’ll just see what happens with that. It’ll all be speculation right now, but I think he’s a really good football player and as I said and I do believe he’ll be playing in the National Football Player this year.”

Harbaugh also added, “It all depends on a lot of things. It depends on Colin, first of all. What he wants to do. What’s his passion? What’s his priority? What’s he want to do? What kind of shape is he in? And, if he’s ready to go. And then our needs. So we’ll just kinda see where it goes, but I don’t think that’s different for us than any other team. We’re definitely going to get another arm in here, but he’s not an arm, obviously. He’s an accomplished football player, and we always like having good football players.”

Follow @CBSBaltimore on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook

Comments

1. Bobby Love says:

ahhaahah owner or coach said– I believe he’s a really good person.”—- What he didn’t tell you he hates our flag, our anthem, our country.

2. Keith Barney says:

I would love to see Kap come to the Ravens. It would continue a great tradition of the Ravens being willing to “take a chance” on a player and see them do well! I think the league is the worst for no one signing him because he is better than the starter on a few teams. Lets go Ravens lets teach people a lesson in character and redemption.

Having said all that … we need a back up for Joe and Kap would certainly be a great back up if nothing else ….. it just makes sense!

3. Paul Woll says:

Coach/Owner should listen to Poe. Quoth the Raven – “Nevermore”.

1. John McElroy says:

Nicely done, Paul, a tip of my hat to you.

4. Baltimore. Ain’t that just good and proper! The two symbols of cultural decay deserve each other. LOLOLOL

5. Mike Houck says:

If the Ravens pick up this guy, I’m finished with them and the League. Even the dog-killer would be a better choice.

6. John McElroy says:

Baltimore, great fit for the city.

7. it would take a classy guy to do this…good for you John…I support Colin’s rights to express himself…those that have a problem with him doing so…I really have a problem with them…

1. Yo!
      1. What Kaepernick did was not “classy”. The coach is looking for cheap labor. Kaepernick would come cheap now.

2. You support CK’s “right to express himself” in a classless manner… YET…

3. You have a problem with people who dislike CK using the stage of the NFL during game time to vomit on the country.

You notice anything inconsistent between points 2 and 3?

Do you?

I call that… not very clear thinking. Must be a Lib.

8. Lalt Mills says:

This coach needs to remember that football teams are NOTHING without fans!

9. Awesome! now he can disrespectfully take a knee against the US and destroy the ravens box office turnout! Kewl.

10. Joe Mondy says:

If the Ravens say he’s a “good guy,” well that’s good enough for me.

11. R U FOR REAL,if cap comes here the Ravens have hit rock bottom

12. Another mal-content for Baltimore PD to deal with.

13. Jerry Walton says:

There’s a lot of guys on training camp rosters that won’t be on a team after regular season starts.
    Kaepernick is one of those.

14. Any team that signs the rabid hate-filled anti-America blatantly racist Kaepernick should be immediately, and permanently, banned from participation in all civilized western sports…

15. If that SOB signs with ANY team – I will continue to boycott the entire league again this year.

16. Seems like he should be more of an albatross than a raven.

17. Paul Pappas says:

If they hire that POS, they deserve to lose badly and we will never pay to see them or watch them!

18. Well… Baltimore IS a cesspool. Where else would you expect to find a Kaepernick type floating?

19. Tracey Berry says:

How can you sign this Man That Show no love and RESPECT for are Flags and are Natural Anthem,,What Make you Think He would Have RESPECT. For are TEAM,. And if he joins I will not watch football at all this year ,,

20. “I mean, he’s a really good football player. I believe he’s a really good person.” This means you are a terrible judge of character. He sucks as a player, teammate and person.

21. CK disrespected a country that has given him so much..i say the hell with him and his lofty ideals if he doesn’t like it here then play for the Canadian football league