BALTIMORE (WJZ/AP) — Two of the eight sailors missing since a Navy destroyer collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore Monday are from Maryland.
Navy divers have found some remains of in a flooded compartment on the USS John S. McCain.
Officials now say one sailor’s remains have been identified as 22-year-old electronics technician 3rd class Kenneth Aaron Smith of New Jersey.
Late Thursday, officials announced a second body was recovered and identified as 26-year-old Electronics Technician 3rd Class Dustin Louis Doyon from Suffield, Connecticut.
Still missing are 26-year-old electronics technician 2nd class Kevin Sayer Bushell of Gaithersburg and 23-year-old information systems technician 2nd class Timothy Thomas Eckels Jr. of Carroll County.
Seven others are also missing:
– Electronics Technician 1st Class Charles Nathan Findley, 31, from Missouri
– Interior Communications Electrician 1st Class Abraham Lopez, 39, from Texas
– Electronics Technician 2nd Class Jacob Daniel Drake, 21, from Ohio
– Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Corey George Ingram, 28, from New York
– Electronics Technician 3rd Class Dustin Louis Doyon, 26, from Connecticut
– Electronics Technician 3rd Class John Henry Hoagland III, 20, from Texas
– Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class Logan Stephen Palmer, 23, from Illinois
The Navy also announced Thursday that it has suspended search and rescue efforts after more than 80 hours multinational efforts.
U.S. Navy and Marine Corps divers will continue search and recovery efforts inside flooded compartments in the ship for the missing sailors,.
The Navy is looking at all possible causes, including that the ship’s controls were possibly hacked.
It’s one of several recent collisions in the Pacific that lead to the removal of the fleet’s commander just weeks before his retirement and a renewed focus on safety.
(TM and Copyright 2017 CBS and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)