Olympics Vs. World Cup
- Television ViewershipAccording to Olympics.org the London 2012 Olympics was broadcast in over 220 territories with 3.6 Billion Viewers! With the U.S coming in at a reported 31.1 Million Viewers.According to fifa.com the 2010 World cup reached 214 territories with 3.2 billion viewers! The US Vs. Ghana match in 2014 drew over 11 million
- Ticket PricesThe Average resale price for the 2012 London Opening Ceremonies was $2,550 with face vale tickets ranging from $31.57 to over $3,000 according to seatgeek.com.According to CBSNews.com: Tickets for the June 26 match of US Vs. Germany in Recife are on average $894. Tickets to the final on July 13 will set you back over $5,000.
- Number of nations participating204 National Olympic Committees took part in the 2012 London Olympics (79 countries acquired at least one medal).31 national teams made it through the qualifiers to compete in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup.
- Winning PrestigeMost Olympic sports that are followed passionately during the games are largely ignored as soon as the games are over...quick, who is your favorite pro Javelin thrower? See?The most coveted title in all of sports on a global scale, champions feted for life in their home countries. No contest.
- The TrophiesEverybody wants a gold medal! It's individual, you take it home, take selfies of yourself pretending to bite it like you are in the Old West. ..and you wear it like Jewelry!History! Only two trophies have been used since 1930, the current one since 1974 & it's made of 18K gold, but you gotta give it back.
It's a tie (just like half the world cup games). We love showing off our national pride & we love our athletes competing for their nation, let's just enjoy these historic world events when they come around. ....and eventually the U.S will be good at soccer, right???