BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A U.S. Marshal is receiving critical care after he was shot while serving an arrest warrant in west Baltimore on Thursday.

The suspect, now identified as Dontae Green, has died, Baltimore Police said.

READ MORE: Johns Hopkins Hosts COVID-19 Vaccination Virtual Course

Officials said at around 6:45 a.m., marshals were serving an arrest warrant in the 1500 block of N. Mount Street for attempted murder and armed robbery.

“While clearing a residence associated with Green, members of the SRT started taking fire from an individual hiding in a closet. The deputy U.S. Marshals returned fire, striking the shooter, who was later identified as Green,” said Don Snider, the commander of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force.

A deputy U.S. Marshal was hit by gunfire. Weapons were recovered at the scene.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said in an update Thursday afternoon Green was the grocery store security guard involved in another officer-involved shooting last weekend. That shooting reportedly stemmed from a disagreement about his paycheck.

Green was wanted for 19 charges and was seen as a “high-risk fugitive.”

“This is an incident that we just had this weekend, and it shows how proactive the department is being in going after those who are recklessly acting with abandon with the safety of their fellow Baltimoreans,” Mayor Brandon Scott said.

READ MORE: Volunteers Help Afghan Refugees With Food And Supplies

The deputy marshal was taken to Shock Trauma after he was shot in the stomach and is currently on life support for his serious injuries. Dr. Thomas Scalea with Shock Trauma said right now the status of his recovery is too early to tell.

“We got him rapidly evaluated and into the operating room,” Scalea said. “He’s up in ICU, but still on life support. We are very hopeful, but you just never know, it’s just too early.”

He expressed his exasperation that another member of law enforcement has been injured in the line of duty, saying “it’s a little bit too much.”

Officers blocked off streets near the scene for hours near Gilmor Homes as they investigated the shooting.

“I’m just sorry he lost his life with the fight,” nearby resident Johnnie Dow said. “If you are wrong, just surrender; you will see another day.”

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story misspelled Dontae Green’s name. The Baltimore Police Department has since provided an updated spelling.

MORE NEWS: Mount St. Mary's Defeats Central Connecticut 65-50

Get alerts from WJZ first! Follow WJZ on Facebook and download the app.

Annie Rose Ramos