HURLOCK, Md. (WJZ) — Gov. Larry Hogan on Monday explained his rationale for writing in the late former President Ronald Reagan at the top of the ticket when he cast his ballot for the 2020 election.

Late last week, Hogan’s communications director tweeted the governor voted for Ronald Reagan when he submitted his ballot by mail the prior week.

>>WJZ has a new news app! Download it now!<<

Hogan, a Republican, has publicly criticized President Donald Trump for his handling of the coronavirus and his “inflammatory rhetoric” but did not feel Trump’s Democratic challenger, former Vice President Joe Biden, was a suitable alternative, he said.

RELATED COVERAGE:

“I think I feel like a lot of people in America that I don’t think either one of the candidates is the right choice,” Hogan said while delivering remarks about a COVID-19 agriculture relief program in Hurlock on Monday. “It’s somewhat, obviously, symbolic. The race in Maryland has about a 30-point spread so my vote is not going to change any outcomes on our 10 Electoral College votes, but I thought it said something about the type of person that I would like to see.”

Hogan, who has been rumored to be mulling a 2024 bid for the White House, voted for his father, former Rep. Lawrence Hogan, in 2016.

CBS Baltimore Staff

Comments (14)
  1. K Nowledge says:

Looking for that attention, huh?

2. Dave says:

That was stupid- it was the same as voting for Trump. So I am not crazy about Biden either, but given a choice between 4 more years of a stupid lunatic nut job like Trump or a change with Biden, I voted for Biden. At least he is sane, does not kiss dictators’ butts, make the USA a laughing stock and he believes in science & listening to experts, so fewer people will die & the economy suffer less from COVID. Biden will put America first Trump puts himself first

1. King Julian says:

how can the economy suffer less with biden when he says he would shut it down. so you prefer to be a socialist and have the government take care of you in a welfare state

3. viewer says:

……..in other words he voted for Trump It explains alot Hogan does not know Reagan is dead & he wasn’t even a good president

4. Tammy says:

Completely irresponsible…why vote at all? That’s all this nut job needs is for people to think they shouldn’t vote for either.

5. Samuel says:

Gov. Hogan I was always a supporter of yours. But after this cowardly vote, I will vote against you. We teach our kids and others your vote matters and for the Governor of MD to cast a vote for a dead president says a lot!! I hope when your time for re-election comes up, people remember this!

6. carla says:

Like his father was a traitor to the GOP Party, voting against Nixon,,,(now we look at Watergate and think, really?) compared to all the corruption with Biden and Obama and Clinton? I hope Hogan’s political ambitions are gone now as the GOOP know he was and is a traitor. He did nothing to help the other conservative candidates, and actually is doing what the Dems want by the lock down, and keep the life saving hydroxychloroquine from us!! He has condemn thousands in MD to death. CHQ has a 100% cure rate if given early and as the protocol. He has been a follower not a leader and has embarassed all of us. His example to people that if you don’t like either candidate, to NOT VOTE is shameful.

1. Fixed this for you:,,,(now we look at Watergate and think, really?) compared to all the corruption with Barr and Trump and the rest of the Trump Crime family? !!!!

7. Ka says:

Perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve heard ever. Far outweighs anything Trump has said or done. You should have kept that one to yourself.

8. Biden My Time says:

Good job of throwing your vote away. You are setting a terrible example.

9. Zedd says:

So instead of taking a stand and making a choice for your country, you take a stand for yourself. Don’t bother running in 2024. We don’t need more people like you in government.

10. chrissfarmer says:

Hogan can’t run for Gov again folks, don’t you know that??? People who know so little should not even be voting, I swear! It explains why they so easily fall for Trump’s lies.

Biden did not say he would shut down the economy, he only said he would be open to it as a possibility: “In order to keep the country running and moving and the economy growing, and people employed, you have to fix the virus, you have to deal with the virus,” Biden said.
    Asked if this meant shutting the economy down, Biden replied: “I would shut it down; I would listen to the scientists.” Biden is 100% right that dealing with COVID is the first step to dealing with the economy as it is clear the disease will do what it wants to and shut it down of its own accord if we don’t start listening to the scientists to deal with COVID. COVID, just like forest fires & hurricanes, shuts down economies & takes away livelihoods and kills good people. Countries that had timely shut downs early on are in much better shape than we are now. It is very clear Trump did not handle it right, he does not listen to science and thinks a “booming stock market” at all costs is better than saving lives. You can’t have a great economy when everyone is sick and you can’t pretend like a deadly disease is not there and just go back to normal. Shouting “open up” does not make COVID go away. You open up a factory, school, office building again and the workers start getting sick, spread it, people start dying at much higher rates. I would much rather suffer economically for a while than hear about even more friends and family dying. Most people would gladly give up money to avoid burying their parents, grandparents & loved ones with medical issues. Younger healthy people & kids die too, are you willing to risk your own loved ones so restaurants can open up? Maybe there will be a vaccine soon, maybe there won’t be, who knows?

Hogan was a total fool to waste his vote like he did. He can not run for Governor again, but whatever he might run for, I would not vote for him.

11. Henry says:

HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m a lifelong Republican but when faced with a choice of only 2 people who have a chance to win I voted for Joe Biden because Donald Trump has totally convinced me he is unfit and the wrong person to lead the country he has made a mess of. So maybe like its the lesser of 2 evils thing but even so we get to make our vote count to pick who we think is best. I agree a dead guy is a better choice then Trump but Biden is better then a dead guy.I didn’t vote last time because I did not like either and I realize now what a mistake that was-we need to look at what we have and pick th best one.

12. GLG says:

dumbschitt to waste his vote like that voting is a privilege we have that many people don’t and should not be treated like a joke-if hogan ever runs again I bet Reagan beats him LOL